How to Record and Receive Customer Payments in QuickBooks
After you invoice a client and record the transaction in QuickBooks, it remains an unpaid invoice, or open invoice, until the customer remits payment. To record and receive a customer's payment in QuickBooks, follow these nine steps.This feature works the same in versions 2011–2016 of QuickBooks.
- On the Home page, in the Customers panel, click Receive Payments
- In the Receive Payments dialog box, from the Received From drop-down list, select the customer that remitted the payment.
- In the Amount field, type the amount of the payment.
- In the Date field, type or look up the date of the payment.
- From the Payment Method drop-down list, select the form of payment.
- The next few fields depend on the type of payment you received. Fill these in as appropriate.
- In the Memo field, type any notes you need to record about the payment (e.g., "short paid", "late").
- Ensure that the payment is applied to the correct open invoice. QuickBooks auto-applies payments received. A checkmark appears next to the invoice(s) selected for payment. Click on a checkmark to deselect an invoice. Click on the empty box next to an invoice to select it.
- Click Save & Close.