How to Make IDLE the Default Editor for Python Files on Windows
Want to be able to open files in IDLE on Windows by double-clicking on them? You need to make IDLE the default editor for Python files. Here is how:
- Open a folder that contains a Python file.
- Right-click on any Python file.
- Select Properties.
- Next to the section that says “Opens with”, click the Change button.
- You may need to select More Apps.
- Click on Look for another app on this PC.
- Navigate to where you installed Python. For me, that’s the Python35 folder on the C drive.
- Open Lib
- Open idlelib
- Select the idle.bat file.
- Click Open.
- Click OK to close out of Properties.
- Now you can open .py files in IDLE simply by double-clicking on them.