How to Make IDLE the Default Editor for Python Files on Windows
Want to be able to open files in IDLE on Windows by double-clicking on them? You need to make IDLE the default editor for Python files. Here is how:
- Open a folder that contains a Python file.
- Right-click on any Python file.
- Select Properties.
- Next to the section that says “Opens with”, click the Change button.
- You may need to select More Apps.
- Click on Look for another app on this PC.
- Navigate to where you installed Python. For me, that’s the Python35 folder on the C drive.
- Open Lib
- Open idlelib
- Select the idle.bat file.
- Click Open.
- Click OK to close out of Properties.
- Now you can open .py files in IDLE simply by double-clicking on them.
Author: Nat Dunn
Nat Dunn is the founder of Webucator (www.webucator.com), a company that has provided training for tens of thousands of students from thousands of organizations. Nat started the company in 2003 to combine his passion for technical training with his business expertise, and to help companies benefit from both. His previous experience was in sales, business and technical training, and management. Nat has an MBA from Harvard Business School and a BA in International Relations from Pomona College.
Follow Nat on Twitter at @natdunn and Webucator at @webucator.