How to Install and Configure Apache Tomcat (Windows)
Apache Tomcat can be installed and configured for first time use in a straightforward way.
To learn how to install and configure Apache Tomcat for Windows, follow these 5 steps:
- Download Tomcat 8.0 at https://tomcat.apache.org/download-80.cgi#8.0.47. Select the 64-bit version for Windows:
- Extract the zip file to a directory on your computer, e.g.,
- To configure Tomcat, you may define
CATALINA_BASEenvironment variables in the Windows Control Panel, although this will not be required for starting and stopping Tomcat from the command line. Set the value of each environment variable to the install directory in the previous step, e.g.,
- While in the Control Panel environment variables definition panel, add the
bindirectory of Tomcat to the PATH variable. The
bindirectory is located in the install directory, e.g.,
- Tomcat install and initial configuration is complete.