How to Deploy a Web Application Using the Apache Tomcat Manager (Linux)
To deploy a web application to Apache Tomcat you can copy a WAR file to the application base directory, e.g.,
/var/lib/tomcat7/webapps. This operation of course
presupposes we know the application base directory. We could consult
server.xml and look up the
Host element to determine the directory name. A
more straightforward approach is to use the Tomcat manager web application.
To learn how to deploy a web application using the Apache Tomcat manager web application in Linux, follow these 12 steps:
- Stop the Tomcat server.
- You will need to edit
/var/lib/tomcat7/conf/tomcat-users.xmlto add credentials to access the Tomcat manager web application.
- Add the following XML statements immediately before the root end tag,i.e.,
</tomcat-users>:Replace "your name" and "your password" with a user name and password of your choosing (no embedded spaces).
<role rolename="manager-gui"/> <user username="your name" password="your password" roles="manager-gui"/> </tomcat-users>
- Save your changes.
- You'll need to create a WAR file so that you will have a web application to deploy. The instructions for creating a WAR file were contained in Steps 1 and 2 in the topic
. Complete only Steps 1 and 2. If you have already
completed that project, delete the WAR file (
DemoWebsite.war) and the unpacked folder (
- Start the Tomcat server.
- In the address area of your browser, type
http://localhost:8080/manager/htmland submit that address to the browser.
- You will be challenged for credentials. Provide the user name and password you specified in
tomcat-users.xml(make sure to provide the correct spelling and case):
- The manager web page is now displayed. Scroll down until you see the Deploy section:
Note that I have already provided the Context Path (
/DemoWebsite) and the WAR URL ((
/DemoWebsite/DemoWebsite.war) in the text boxes. Fill in the text boxes as I've done. Then click
- The manager will indicate that the web site has been deployed:
- In a separate tab in your browser, type
http://localhost:8080/DemoWebsite/DateJSP.jspand submit that address to the browser.
- The web page will be displayed verifying successful deployment: