How Default Base Class Constructors Are Used with Inheritance
A derived Java class does not inherit a constructor from its base class. If a base class has a default constructor, i.e., a constructor with no arguments, then that constructor is automatically called when a derived class is instantiated if the derived class has its own default constructor. A default constructor is automatically provided by the compiler if no constructors are present in the Java source code. To understand how default constructors are used with inheritance, follow these 10 steps.
- Open your text editor and type in the following Java statements:
Personclass does not have a default constructor defined in the source code. For purposes of clarity, I've included a default constructor that is commented out to show what type of constructor is automatically generated by the compiler.
- Save your file as Person.java.
- Open a command prompt and navigate to the directory containing your Java program. Then type in the command to compile the source and hit Enter.
- Create a new file in your text editor. Type in the following Java statements:
Employeeclass inherits from Person and does not have a default constructor defined in the source code. Again, I've provided a comment to show the constructor that the compiler will generate. The default constructor in the
Personclass is not inherited by Employee and therefore a default constructor must be provided in Employee, either automatically by the compiler or coded by the developer. Note that the compiler will also generate a call to the base class default constructor.
- Save your file as Employee.java.
- In the command prompt, type in the command to compile the source and hit Enter.
- Now you will create an application to test your default constructors. Create a new file in your text editor and type in the following Java statements:
The program instantiates an Employee object by calling the default constructor in the
Employeeclass. The program then calls the setter methods to establish values for the properties.
- Save your file as HowDefaultBaseConstructorsAreUsedWithInheritance.java.
- Return to the command prompt. Then type in the command to compile the source and hit Enter.
- You will now test your program. Type in the command to run the Java runtime launcher and then hit Enter. The output verifies that the Employee and Person objects were created successfully using the default constructors.