QuickBooks software can be customized to fit the needs of your business. During the setup interview, the questions determine which features are activated and available in your company file. If you took time to answer the questions, you may have already customized some of your settings to meet your organization's accounting needs. There are additional settings available that you should review to ensure you are using QuickBooks most effectively. It may not be apparent which settings and preferences will be most useful just after installing the software, but after using it for a period of time you will better understand how best to customize it to your needs. It is important to back up your company file before making changes. This will allow you to restore your settings and file if there is an error or issue after changing them. To view and set the preferences in QuickBooks, follow these five steps.This feature works the same in versions 2011–2016 of QuickBooks.
- From the menu, select Edit > Preferences. The Preferences window opens.
- In the left pane, click the category for the settings you need to change.
- Each category includes the following two tabs. Select the appropriate tab.
- My Preferences. Options on these tabs affect the user who is currently logged in to QuickBooks.
- Company Preferences. Options on these tabs affect the entire company file. Preferences set on these tabs affect every QuickBook user. Only QuickBooks administrators can access and change company preferences.
- Make changes to preferences as needed.
- When you finish, click OK.
Certain features of QuickBooks can be activated and deactivated. If you don't need a feature, you can simply deactivate it. Features can be turned on and off at any time by administrators.