How to Create a Sales Tax Group in QuickBooks
If you collect sales taxes from customers for multiple agencies (e.g., city and county), it may be useful to combine sales tax items into groups. By grouping, invoices and sales receipts will list only one total tax amount instead of listing each tax amount separately. To add a sales tax group in QuickBooks, follow these eight steps.This feature works the same in versions 2011–2016 of QuickBooks.
- From the menu, select Lists > Item List.
- In the Item List window, click Item and select "New". The New Item dialog box opens.
- From the Type drop-down list, select "Sales Tax Group".
- In the Group Name/Number field, type a name for the sales tax group.
- In the Description field, type a description of the sales tax group.
- In the table, click in the first row and then select a sales tax item to include in the group from the Tax Item drop-down list.
- Repeat the last step for each sales tax item you need to include in the group.
- When you finish, click OK.