When creating a new Word document, you can choose between creating a blank document and creating a document from an existing template. A template is a predesigned Word document that you can change to suit your needs. Once you've downloaded a template, it is stored in the My Templates location on your computer.
This feature works the same in all modern versions of Microsoft Word: 2010, 2013, and 2016.
To create a new blank Microsoft Word document:
- From the File menu, select New. (In Microsoft Office 2007, click the Microsoft Office button and select New.)
- Double-click Blank document.
To create a new Microsoft Word document from a template:
- From the File menu, select New. In Microsoft Office 2007, click the Microsoft Office button and select New.
- Double-click one of the template categories.
- Select a template to view it.
- Click Create to open the template. In Microsoft Word 2007 and 2010, select Download to download and open the template: