How to Create List Columns in SharePoint 2013
The following steps show how to create a new column in a task list. New columns are also known as MetaData. They are used to better tag, describe, and organize items in lists and libraries. Views could be used in the future to control exactly what content is visible.
- To create a new column, click on LIST > Create Column.
- Name the column. This name will be shown at the top of the column in the view. This new column can be used to hold many types of data and better organize the list. Choose the type based on the type of information you want to store.
- Scroll down and fill out the additional column settings, then click OK once you are done. Note this will be unique for each type above. Some standard options are:
- Description: This will be visible in the New Entry form.
- Require: If Yes is checked, the user has to enter information; if No is checked, it remains optional, and the column can be left blank.
- Enforce Unique Values: If Yes is checked, two entries may not include the same values.
- Maximum Number of Characters: How many characters may be stored.
- Default Value: If you do not wish to have a default value, you may leave this field blank.