How to Create a Combo Box Form Field in Adobe InDesign
Combo box form fields allow the form-filler to either type in an entry or select from a list.
This feature works the same in Adobe InDesign CS6 and CC versions.
- Use the Rectangle Tool to create a frame with unassigned content.
- In the Window menu, go to Interactive and choose Buttons and Forms.
- With the rectangle frame selected, go to the Buttons and Forms panel. Select Combo Box from the Type menu and name the form field.
- Expand the PDF Options, if necessary, then type in a Description. The description will become a tool tip for the form-filler.
- Type the first item into the List Items field, then click the Add button.
- Continue adding the list items, clicking Add after each one. They will appear in the box below. When finished, if the list needs to be alphabetized, check the Sort Items check box.
- The file must then be exported as an Interactive PDF.
Author: Kate Cahill
Kate Cahill is a graphic designer, writer, and creative director who has developed content for print and web. As creative director, she has produced award-winning work for agencies focused on the pharmaceutical and health and beauty aid industries. She has also served as production manager, with responsibility for the successful fulfillment of long-run print contracts. Kate has been delivering training for Webucator clients since 2010. Her enthusiasm for cutting-edge technology, combined with hands-on practical experience, brings an added benefit to her classes. Kate teaches real-world techniques and integration of Adobe software, as well as Microsoft PowerPoint, to produce a fully developed and cohesive brand identity.