How to Create a Basic Animation in Adobe InDesign
InDesign allows you to create basic animations for output to digital PDF or HTML formats without using separate software.
This feature works similarly in InDesign CS5, CS6, and CC versions.
- Using the Selection Tool, choose the object to be animated. Go to the Window menu, scroll to Interactive, and select Animation.
- In the Animation Panel, select the animation from the Preset menu.
- Set the Duration, Play, and Speed options.
- Expand the Properties section, if necessary, for additional options such as Rotate, Scale, and Opacity. (These options will vary depending on the animation preset you choose.)
- To preview the animation, click the Preview button at the lower left corner. (In InDesign CC, this will preview as EPUB. Previous versions preview as SWF.)
- In the EPUB Interactivity Preview Panel, click the Play button.
- To preview the animation for PDF, go to the Window menu, scroll down to Interactive, and choose SWF Preview.
- The SWF Preview Panel is similar to the EPUB Interactivity Preview Panel.
Author: Kate Cahill
Kate Cahill is a graphic designer, writer, and creative director who has developed content for print and web. As creative director, she has produced award-winning work for agencies focused on the pharmaceutical and health and beauty aid industries. She has also served as production manager, with responsibility for the successful fulfillment of long-run print contracts. Kate has been delivering training for Webucator clients since 2010. Her enthusiasm for cutting-edge technology, combined with hands-on practical experience, brings an added benefit to her classes. Kate teaches real-world techniques and integration of Adobe software, as well as Microsoft PowerPoint, to produce a fully developed and cohesive brand identity.