How to Build Credibility with Customers
Your customers need to know not only that you will do as you say you will do, but also that you have the skill, knowledge, and resources to do it. Credibility with your customers will go a long way to establishing a trusting relationship. By establishing your credibility, you also become a resource for your internal customers. If your colleagues trust you, they will come to you with questions or refer their customers to you. Some ways to establish credibility with customers include the following.
- When asked a question you don't know the answer to, say "I don't know, but I will find out and get back to you."
- Follow up on your promises and keep your customer apprised of the progress you are making, especially if it is taking longer than you first anticipated.
- Admit it when you are wrong. Accepting responsibility for a mistake and then working to correct that mistake will establish your credibility quickly in the mind of your customer.
- When voicing opinions or values, be consistent and sincere. Don't waver in an effort to gain an advantage or to be liked by more people.
- Always behave in a professional manner by not gossiping.