How to Adjust the Default Artboard in Adobe Illustrator
Artboards are the pages in Illustrator. You can have multiple artboards in a file at different sizes, if needed, up to a width of 227 inches.
- Typically the artboard size is specified in the New Document dialog box:
- CS users will see a dialog box that looks like this:
- If you need to change the size of an artboard, one way is to go to the Artboards Panel. Click on the artboard you wish to change, then go to the panel menu and choose Artboard Options
- The dialog box has fields for setting the Width and Height. If you have multiple artboards, there are also X and Y fields for setting the spacing between artboards.
- Another way the artboard size can be adjusted is to use the Artboard Tool.
- When the using the Artboard Tool, the Options Bar provides the same controls as the Artboard Options dialog box.
Author: Kate Cahill
Kate Cahill is a graphic designer, writer, and creative director who has developed content for print and web. As creative director, she has produced award-winning work for agencies focused on the pharmaceutical and health and beauty aid industries. She has also served as production manager, with responsibility for the successful fulfillment of long-run print contracts. Kate has been delivering training for Webucator clients since 2010. Her enthusiasm for cutting-edge technology, combined with hands-on practical experience, brings an added benefit to her classes. Kate teaches real-world techniques and integration of Adobe software, as well as Microsoft PowerPoint, to produce a fully developed and cohesive brand identity.