How to Add Items to the Item List in QuickBooks
An item is anything that you purchase from your vendors or sell to your customers. Examples of items include products, services, late fees, and shipping charges. Before you record any sales or purchase transactions, you should plan and create the items for your item list. To add new items to the item list, follow these eight steps.
This feature works the same in versions 2011–2016 of QuickBooks.
- On the Home page, in the Company panel, click the Items & Services icon.
- In the Item List dialog box, click Item and select New.
- In the New Item dialog box, from the Type drop-down list, select the type of item you are adding. For the purposes of this demo, we'll select "Service".
- In the Item Name/Number field, type the name of the item.
- In the Description field, type the item description.
- In the Rate field, type the item rate.
- In the Account field, select an income account.
- Click OK.
Author: Lee Fifield
Lee is a writer, editor, and technology evangelist. Lee received her undergraduate degree in Communications from Ithaca College.