An action button works similarly to a hyperlink; when you click or mouse over it, it will perform an action such as linking to a web page, playing a sound, or launching a program. To add an action button to your PowerPoint presentation, follow the steps below.
This feature works the same in all modern versions of Microsoft PowerPoint: 2010, 2013, and 2016.
- Select the object on the slide to apply the action to.
- On the Insert tab, in the Links group, click Action.
- In the Action Settings dialog box, select the Mouse Click or Mouse Over tab depending on how you want to initiate the action.
- Select the action that you want to occur. There are five possible actions:
- None: No action occurs.
- Hyperlink to: Links to another destination that you specify, such as another slide in the presentation, a different presentation, a website, or another file.
- Run program: Runs the program that you specify.
- Run macro: Runs the macro you select. This option is only available if there are macros in your presentation.
- Object action: Performs the selected action. This option is only available if your presentation contains an OLE object.
- Click OK.