SQL Server Reporting Services 2014 for Report Writers
In this Introduction to SQL Server 2014 Reporting Services (SSRS) training class teaches students how to create, format, and manage SQL Server 2014 Reporting Services reports. This course focuses primarily on the Report Designer tool in the SSDT-BI for Visual Studio 2013. Attendees will also work in and become familiar with Report Builder and Report Manager.
- Use Report Designer and Report Manager.
- Work with solutions and projects.
- Create basic reports.
- Enhance reports with formatting, images, and charts.
- Effectively group and summarize data.
- Work with parameterized reports.
- Build dynamic reports with expressions and parameters.
- Incorporate charts and custom maps.
- Work with drillthrough reports.
- Manage reports.
- Utilize Report Builder.
- SSRS Overview and Tools
- Tools Available with SQL Server 2014
- SQL Server Documentation
- Working with Solutions and Projects
- Working with SSDT-BI for Visual Studio 2013
- Understanding Solutions and Projects
- Working with the Visual Studio Developer Environment
- Creating Basic Reports
- What is a Data Source?
- What is a Dataset?
- Using the Report Wizard
- What is Tablix?
- Creating a Tabular Report
- Creating a List Report
- What is a Matrix?
- Deploying a Project
- Formatting Reports
- Rich Text Formatting
- Adding and Managing Text Boxes
- Drawing Lines and Boxes
- Adding Page Headers and Footers
- Using the Built-in Fields Folder
- Adding a Document Map
- Rendering Reports
- Custom Expressions
- Understanding Expressions
- Defining Expressions
- Working with Report Variables
- Accessing Multiple Datasets with Lookup Functions
- Additional Samples
- Summarizing and Sorting
- Adding Groups with the Report Wizard
- Creating Groups
- Parent/Child vs. Adjacent Groupings
- Adding Totals and Aggregations
- Creating Aggregates of Aggregates
- Add Flexibility with Parameters
- Adding Parameters to a Report
- Report Parameters vs. Query Parameters
- Manage Report Parameter Properties
- Use Parameters with SQL Queries and Stored Procedures
- Work with Cascading Parameters
- Sort Based on a Parameter Setting
- Filtered Reports
Time permitting, the following topics will also be covered:
- Enhanced Report Items
- Add a Map to a Report
- Data Bar, Indicator, and Sparkline Report Items
- Nesting Data Regions
- Working with Subreports
- Working with Drillthrough Reports
- Performance Implications of Subreports and Drillthrough Reports
- Using Report Manager
- Deploying Projects
- Navigating Report Manager
- Understanding Permissions
- Viewing Reports
- Working with Shared Data Sources
- Managing Reports
- Using SQL Server 2014 Report Builder
- ClickOnce vs. Stand-alone Installations
- Installing the Stand-alone Version
- The Report Builder Tool Interface
- Creating Shared Datasets with Report Builder
- Adapt report creation to the Report Builder Application
- Opening Existing Reports
- Working with Report Parts
Each student in our Live Online and our Onsite classes receives a comprehensive set of materials, including course notes and all the class examples.
Experience in the following is required for this SSRS class:
- Working knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server or Microsoft Office applications is encouraged.
Experience in the following would be useful for this SSRS class:
Preparing for Class
- General familiarity with databases