IT Matrix Management and Organizational Swing
- Learn the rationale behind major IT organizational changes/
- Gain knowledge of pros and cons of different IT matrix management configurations.
- Gain insights into potential political and career ramifications of IT organization change and matrix management structures.
Matrix management has been a way of life within many, if not most, Information Technology (IT) organizations. It comes in many forms. It may be in the form of a tester on loan to the project manager of an important project. It may be an IT manager that has a dotted line reporting relationship with his/her primary business user, or any one of a number of other scenarios.
This IT Matrix Management and Organizational Swing training class provides a definition and the background of matrix management. It also outlines the advantages and disadvantages to the company, to IT, to the user community and to the person being matrixed. Various forms of matrix management used within IT are described and illustrated.
- IT Organizational Swing
- Why the Swinging Pendulum?
- Centralization vs. Decentralization
- Project-centric vs. Profession-centric
- Agent of Change vs. Necessary Evil
- Advantages and Disadvantages for IT
- Advantages of Matrix Management
- Disadvantages of Matrix Management
- Different Matrix Management Implementations
- Permanent Dotted Line Reporting Models
- Temporary Dotted Line Reporting Models
- Matrix Management from an IT Manager's Perspective
- In IT and Dotted Line to the Business
- In the Business and Dotted Line to IT
Each student in our Live Online and our Onsite classes receives a comprehensive set of materials, including course notes and all the class examples.