Dealing with Difficult Techies
- Gain knowledge to manage various common types of employee issues.
- Understand how to strategically deal with unexpected issues and actions.
- Learn the effect that employee issues can have on team morale and your career.
Managing difficult employees isn't easy. It wastes time, takes lots of energy, tends to cause problems, and usually creates mounds of paperwork. In IT, it can be especially challenging.
The good news is that if you handle the situation correctly, you may be able to dramatically improve attitude, work quality, and general performance. On the other hand, if the person doesn't or can't improve, you may eventually have to remove them (with the help of HR of course).
- Seven Types of Difficult Employees
- Defining a Framework for Categorizing Different Types of Difficult Employees
- Defining Categorizations
- Identifying Types of Difficult Techies
- Does Not Document
- Likes Scope Creep
- Upsets Users
- "Lone Techie"
- "Spaghetti Coder"
- Conceptual Discipline Framework
- Outline an Overall Framework Containing Six Levels of Increasing Disciplinary Action
- Describe Steps in the Framework
- Steps from Friendly Constructive Criticism to Ending in Termination
- Dealing with Specific Situations
- How Managers Should React When Specific Employee Situations Arise
- Framework for Warnings, Disciplinary Action, and Termination
Each student in our Live Online and our Onsite classes receives a comprehensive set of materials, including course notes and all the class examples.