Constructive Conflict and Difficult Conversations
- Gain understanding of conflict sources, dynamics, and resolution.
- Gain working knowledge of key conflict resolution strategies.
- Learn the seven-step conflict resolution process.
- Learn the ALERT Difficult Conversational Process.
Knowing how to recognize, understand, and intervene effectively in conflict situations is a critical career-enhancing skill. This may be through conflict resolution techniques, structured difficult conversations, or a combination of the two.
This class discusses how to understand, avoid, and resolve conflict, as well as conversational tips and techniques and how to properly prepare for difficult conversation using the ALERT process to maximize conversational effectiveness.
- Initial Thoughts and Vocabulary
- The typology of conflict
- Types of conflict
- The Conflict Spiral
- ERIC, VASE and Special Question Types
- Conflict Strategies
- Rationale and action
- Collaboration vs. compromising
- Quick Conflict Resolution Tips
- Techniques to establish positive dialog
- Defining a workable solution
- Dealing with and defusing high emotions
- The Conflict Resolution Process
- A seven-step process moving from defining the issues at hand, through resolution, and ending with ways prevent future conflicts
- Conversational Tips and Techniques
- General Ground Rules
- Constructive Feedback
- Question Restatement
- Addressing Employee Responses
- Action / Reaction(s)
- Ways to Say 'No'
- Use and Observation of Body Language
- Value of Storytelling
- Discussion Preparation
- Defining Your Goals, Risks and Results
- Time, Location and Venue
- Orchestrating the Listening Framework
- The ALERT Conversation Process Overview
Each student in our Live Online and our Onsite classes receives a comprehensive set of materials, including course notes and all the class examples.