Data Modeling with IBM Cognos 10 Framework Manager
- Identify components of IBM Cognos 10 Platform.
- Understand basic modeling practices.
- Create a model with a database layer, joins, alias shortcuts, and other properties.
- Add business layer with calculations, filters, and folders.
- Add a presentation layer with shortcuts and star schema shortcuts.
- Publish packages and create test reports.
- Maintain models and republish packages.
- Create a simple dimensional model and package.
This Data Modeling with IBM Cognos 10 Framework Manager training class introduces data modeling techniques with IBM Cognos’ Framework Manager.Topics include adding data sources and query subjects, defining joins and cardinality, creating business views, publishing packages and more. The course format includes lecture, instructor-led exercises and independent workshops.
This course is for data modelers who will create and maintain Framework Manager models and packages.
- Introduction to Framework Manager
- Review of IBM Cognos 10
- The Framework Manager interface
- Create a project
- Data Sources and the Physical Layer
- Import data sources
- Create a physical layer
- Understand data formats and query subjects
- Understand common modeling problems
- Organize facts and dimensions
- Define join relationships
- Create the Business Layer
- Create namespaces
- Model query subjects
- Create shortcuts
- Star schemas
- Calculations and Filters
- Why create calculations and filters
- Create simple calculations
- Create filters
- Create filters with prompts
- Update the business layer
- Create and Publish a Package
- Define packages
- Create a package
- Publish a package
- Use a package in a report
- Modify and republish a package
- Review best practices
- Next steps
Each student in our Live Online and our Onsite classes receives a comprehensive set of materials, including course notes and all the class examples.
Experience in the following is required for this Cognos class:
- Experience with Report Studio is recommended.